Thursday 14 November 2013

The Blutsauger (German vampires)

This particular variation first caught my eye as part of a Cracked article on not-so-scary monsters.  According to them, it was a variation on a vampire.  It used to be human, preys on the living, can't tolerate the sun, is covered in fur and doesn't have a skeleton.

I don't know about you, but something which can squeeze under the cracks of my door to kill me is pretty scary.  So I decided to do a little Internet research and discovered that "blutsauger" is a name of a weapon in the video game Team Fortress 2 and that most of the pages featuring the word "blutsauger" are in German.

I did find some interesting information though.  Deliriums Realm told me that someone could become a blutsauger by not being Roman Catholic, dabbling in witchcraft, being immoral or committing suicide.  (The usual suspects in the don't-do-this-or-you'll-be-sorry speeches.)  You could also turn if you ate flesh which had been killed by a wolf or if animals jumped over your grave.

To kill them: drive a stake through their heart and stuff their mouths with garlic.

I couldn't find a confirmation that they didn't have a skeleton.

The idea of a monster without a skeleton is really intriguing.  I remember the first time I watched an octopus squeeze through a tiny crack.  I found a video on YouTube which demonstrates.

Now imagine it wasn't a tiny octopus but a giant man-sized blood-sucking monster sliding into your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment